- 7/22/2016 - Dr. Hanson awarded the Energy Systems Award by the American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics (AIAA).
- 4/30/2016 - Dr. Chris Goldenstein and Dr. Mitch Spearrin left to take up faculty positions at Purdue University and UCLA.
- 4/15/2016 - Congratulations to Julian Girard and Terry Peng for receiving NDSEG fellowships.
- 2/16/2016 - "Shock-tube measurements of excited oxygen atoms using cavity-enhanced absorption spectroscopy" was selected by The Optical Society to be included in the February 2016 Spotlight on Optics.
- 2/16/2016 - "Fiber-coupled diode-laser sensors for calibration-free stand-off measurements of gas temperature, pressure, and composition" was selected by The Optical Society to be included in the January 2016 Spotlight on Optics. It was also a top download for the month.
- 1/19/2016 - Dr. Hanson awarded the Hsue-Shen Tsien Professorship by the Institute of Mechanics, of the China Academy of Sciences for his contributions to the areas of laser diagnostics, shock wave physics and gasdynamics, and combustion chemistry.
- 11/25/2014 - A winner of the 2014 APS/DFD Milton Van Dyke Award in the Gallery of Fluid Motion: "The Hidden Complexities of the Simple Match". APS Gallery of Fluid Motion, APS/DFD Virtual Pressroom, Wired article
- 7/21/2014 - Professor Hanson appointed as Honorary Professor at Xi'an Jiaotong University, China.
- 7/21/2014 - Professor Hanson appointed as Honorary Professor at Northwestern Polytechnic University, China.
- 7/20-25/2014 - Professor Hanson gave "Quantitative laser diagnostics for combustion chemistry and propulsion" lecture series for the Combustion Summer School at Tsinghua University, China
- 6/15/2014 - Congratulations to our eleven graduates from 2014: Matthew Campbell, Christopher Goldenstein, Sijie Li, Daniel McCartt, Victor Miller, Kyle Owen, Ian Schultz, Mitchell Spearrin, Christopher Strand, Ivo Stranic, and Rito Sur!
- 9/23/2013 - Luke Zaczek began his three-year National Science Foundation graduate fellowship
- 9/19/2013 - Dr. Kai Sun et al. have article "Analysis of calibration-free wavelength-scanned wavelength modulation spectroscopy for practical gas sensing using tunable diode lasers" article selected for "Outstanding Paper Award 2013 (Measurement Science Category)" by Measurement Science and Technology
- 6/23-28/2013 - Professor Hanson gave "Quantitative laser diagnostics for combustion chemistry and propulsion" lecture series for the Combustion Summer School at Princeton University
- 6/9/2013 - Professor Hanson gave Plenary Lecture at International Conference on Chemical Kinetics (Seville, Spain)
- 4/30/2013 - Professor Hanson gave Edison Lecture at University of Notre Dame
Hanson Group, Stanford University
Awards and Recognition
- 9/19/2016 - Professor Oleg Penyazkov (A.V. Luikov Heat and Mass Transfer Institute): Ignition Phenomena Observed in Shock Tubes
- 5/21/2015 - Professor Robert Cattolica (University of California, San Diego): A Fluidized Bed Gasification Pilot Plant for the Conversion of Biomass for Combined Heat and Power
- 12/10/2013 - Professor John O. Dabiri (California Institute of Technology): A new school of thought for wind energy technology
- 12/4/2013 - Professor Gianluca Iaccarino (Stanford University): Predictive simulations of particle-laden turbulence in a radiation environment
Presentations and Posters
- 36th International Combustion Symposium - Seoul, Korea (August 1 - 5, 2016)
- S. Wang et al., Rate constants of long, branched, and unsaturated aldehydes with OH at elevated temperatures
- T. Parise et al., Shock tube/laser absorption measurements of the pyrolysis of a bimodal test fuel
- S. Wang et al., Time-resolved sub-PPM CH3 detection in a shock tube using cavity-enhanced absorption spectroscopy with a ps-pulsed UV laser
- W. Ren et al., Pyrolysis and oxidation of methyl acetate in a shock tube: A multi-species time-history study
- D. Davidson et al. poster, Ignition delay times of distillate fuels
- 35th International Combustion Symposium - San Francisco, California (August 3 - 9, 2014)
- M. F. Campbell et al., Constrained reaction volume shock tube study of n-heptane oxidation: Ignition delay times and time-histories of multiple species and temperature
- C. S. Goldenstein et al., Infrared laser absorption sensors for multiple performance parameters in a detonation combustor
- R. M. Spearrin et al., High-temperature iso-butene absorption diagnostic for shock tube kinetics using a pulsed quantum cascade laser near 11.3 microns
- S. Wang et al., High temperature measurements for the rate constants of C1-C4 aldehydes with OH in a shock tube
- L. T. Zaczek et al., A shock tube study of CH3OH + OH -> products using OH laser absorption
- Y. Zhu et al., Ignition delay times of conventional and alternative fuels behind reflected shock waves
- Laser Diagnostics in Combustion Gordon Research Conference - Waterville Valley, New Hampshire (August 11 - 16, 2013)
- E. Martin (Rieken) et al., Initial studies of anisole for PLIF imaging
- C. Goldenstein et al., Fitting of scanned-wavelength-modulation spectroscopy spectra for determination of gas properties and absorption lineshapes
- V. Miller et al., High-speed cinematographic and volumetric tracer-based PLIF imaging